Monday, February 23, 2009

Two Years

How long? Two years? How did that happen? I don’t know, time does that, creeps up on you, then slips past, quickly and slowly, and suddenly it’s later than you thought.

Quick summary. New book out, very soon, with Salt Publishing. TENDER. (I recommend it.) Still on The Show, which is continuing gallantly as ITV rocks and shudders, and throws various bits overboard, threatening to founder, to sink slowly beneath the waves with nothing left to show for itself but a stream of bubbles. Daughter 8, Son 4, family life usual confusing collision of sit-com and reality show. What else? New house, same area. So basically, let’s be honest, two years have passed and not that much has changed.

Salt want me on Facebook, they probably want me to Twitter, they definitely want me to have a website. So I’m going to have a website, but I’m resisting the rest. It all seems so vain, so odd, so young. I’m sort of semi-involved in all that, simultaneously ‘Yes, yes, come in, come and meet me,’ and ‘No, no, who are you, what do you want from me?’ Not very 21st century. Grew up in the seedy, unfriendly, paranoid Seventies … and haven’t changed much.

Favourite book of the century so far? The Road. Which is much more 'No, who are you' than 'Yes, come and meet me ...'

No comments: